Friday 10 January 2014

5 minutes with: Jess Lewis from Hair by Jess Lewis

Dubbed the Queen of Balayage, Jess Lewis is climbing the ranks of top hairdressers in Melbourne.


With clients traveling interstate to see her, a waiting list to book in an appointment, and a Brownlow red-carpet under her belt - Jess Lewis is one to watch out for.



I spent 5 minutes with Jess to find out her tips, tricks and what the next big trends in hair will be.

What is the best part of your job?
Having the ability to create a more beautiful you. Being able to change how someone can feel about themselves is one of the most rewarding feelings. That's why I started my before and after photographs on Instagram, because it showed clients how much colour and styling can change them.

What hair products can you not live without?
My Moroccan oil - my absolute favourite! Less is more with this oil, it may be expensive but it lasts forever. I use it after the hair is washed, and towel dryed (it can also be used on the hair after it's dryed and styled).
If you could give anyone in the public eye a hair makeover, who would it be?
Lara Bingle for sure! She is such an inspiration to so many girls, so to have the chance to do the hair of someone like that would be incredible. Not that it would be hard to make her look amazing - she has the face and skin colouring to pull of so many different styles and colours; so it would be forever new and exciting!
Straight or curls?
I'd have to say curls. A lot of my clients come to me for my curls, and every time I do them the clients feel so beautiful! They are so soft and give the client that bit of extra glam.
 
When it comes to curls - GHD or curling wand?
GHD 100%. I find you can achieve such a soft curl with the GHD, and also have so much more control with how you want your curls to sit.

If you could have any celeb as your client who would it be?
Beyoncé - she has such an amazing head of hair, which I seriously envy.

What is the biggest hair myth you hear from your clients?
Oh there are so many I could go on forever! Here are a couple:
Some think that you shouldn't wash your hair for days before coming in for your colour appointment, because the colour will soak better and last longer - this is NOT true at all.
Another favourite, I have had clients thinking is if they brush their hair 100 times a day it'll make it healthier and shiner - again, NOT true.
 
Can you give us some tips on how to create the perfect wave?
This is a hard one - as doing your own curls/waves is actually really hard. I find that the less product I use the better and softer the waves are, and they hold a lot better. Brushing them out once you have done them all, is also great; it makes them a lot softer and surprisingly last a lot longer.

What is your hair prediction for 2014?
I think ombré is still staying strong this year as a lot of people love the colour, and love the fact they don't have to get their colour done as often. Another colour for 2014 is the sandy deeper blondes - a lot more clients are loving being lighter but slightly deeper. For cuts - long is in. 2012 and 2013 was all about the Lara Bingle longer bob, but now longer is coming back.


So there you have it - grab your GHD, Morrocan oil, and start growing those locks of yours!
To see Jess' hair transformations, or to book an appointment with Jess be sure to follow her on Instragram @hairbyjesslewis

No comments:

Post a Comment