Monday 4 November 2013

Client stories

After my last post, I have had a flood of people tagging me on Instagram with their outfits that I have inspired or helped them with. I have chosen two to share with you.

The first gorgeous girl saw a jumpsuit post that I had Instragrammed 9 weeks ago now, and loved it so much that she wore it to her Valedictory.


The thing I love about this (a part from all the likes Jess got on Insta - and I am sure on the night), is that she has seen an outfit on my page, envisaged herself wearing it, and purchased it. Perhaps Jess never thought that she would wear a jumpsuit to her Valedictory (a very brave fashion move if you ask me!) however she pulled it off with her sleek pony. Thanks for sharing Jess.

The second story that I want to share with you is a client that I had the pleasure of taking to a styling session last weekend. Before our styling session we had gone back-and-fourth in emails, finding a bit about each other. The clients requirements were specific: a wedding outfit, must be a dress, must be black (no white to this wedding, and the client did not like colour), no one-shoulder, no more than $750, must be past the knee but not floor length - oh and the engagement was next weekend. Some people may put this into the 'too hard basket', but me - no way! I love a challenge.

Of course I do my research for my clients before our styling session, but until you meet the person and see their physique, and other elements that people neglect about themselves (for example, this client forgot to mention that she had a KILLER body) you will know what options to eliminate and to add. Note: this is different from an online styling session where I digitally send you options, as I gage more information from you via my styling questionnaire (also, if you feel like you need more options after the first edit, I will send you an extra edit free of charge).


Despite strategically avoiding going into Willow, because I know the amazing dresses in there were over our budget, my client was keen to have a look. I was afraid that she would fall in love with a garment over her budget (and both the client and I would be in trouble from her husband) - in which she did. And I also thought that when she told me that she wanted to try the dress on just to get it out of her system, that she would love it even more....which she did again. The dress didn't meet two of the requirements that this client set, one being the length (this was a floor-gown dress, but was not too formal that she would be restricted in wearing it to only this wedding), and the second of course was the budget.


What we decided on in the end is purchasing this amazing dress, and save on the accessories. The client decided to wear her own shoes rather than purchase a new pair (and as this dress was floor length, and you would only be able to see the top of the shoes, that was totally OK), and also decided to purchase one affordable pair of earrings (from Lovisa - a copy cat pair of the Mimco Simple Glamour Ear), and 1 affordable clutch (which I found half price at Peeptoe - score!).

One of my biggest things that I stress to clients is that if they are going to spend a lot of money on an item, will they wear it again. It is easier to justify your spending if you know you will wear it again - and this is where I can give you some options of different ways to style your outfit. For this particular dress we decided that on the night my client would wear it with red lipstick, and her hair down (along with the accessories we purchased). For the next time that she wears this outfit, she can wear her hair up, nude lip, remove the straps of the dress, and add a pop of colour with a different clutch; making this look like a different outfit in its entirety. Again, ensuring that the accessories can be worn in a more casual manner too (even if they were so cheap!).
 


Styling sessions are always great fun, as you are able to build a rapport with people. I now know what this particular client likes and dislikes, and when we work together again, will be able to tailor outfits even more specifically to her needs.

I also believe that if a certain stylist doesn't meet your expectations, then you should be honest with them, so that they can either try and change their approach to helping you, or perhaps suggest a colleague who they think will be better suited in finding you that perfect outfit.

I hope you have enjoyed this little insight into the world of styling.



Shoot me an email if you are interested in taking part of a styling session, or if you have any questions for me jspstyling@gmail.com


*Special offer: Book 2 styling sessions at the same time, and get the second 50% off;
                       Book 1 styling session, refer a friend onto JSPStyling, and receive 50% off
                       your next styling session


*Conditions apply. Offer commences 2nd November 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment