Friday 29 November 2013

Summer locks

Summer is just around the corner, and now is the perfect time to make a hair change.

For me, I normally tend to go the opposite of the trends where I go darker in Summer, and lighter in Winter; but this year I decided it's time to get my beach look on!

 
Let's look at our favourite celeb sisters that have recently turned to the light side.



I think that Khloe wins the battle of the blondes, as she started with balayage and has gradually built up to this colour. Sorry Kim!

Tips for going blonde:

-Take a picture of the colour that you want to achieve. This will allow your hairdresser to see your vision, and will act as a guide. Your hairdresser will also be able to tell you whether this will be a realistic look or not, so best to take a few options.

-Patience! This is the hardest for me when it comes to my hair, as I want to see a noticeable change after my first visit to the salon (who else gets disappointed if their friends/family don't notice that you've changed your hair?!). However, for your hair to remain healthy (and at the same length) it will ideally take around 3 appointments with your hairdresser to go from very dark to light hair. Trust me, I have wanted to do this all in one-go, where I have gone from black hair to blonde (or should I say orangey yellow) with long hair that all broke off to a short bob (and not to mention 10 hours in the chair!). Learn from my mistake, and trust your hairdresser on this one.

-Use a good quality hair conditioner once a week to help the ends remain strong and healthy (run this through your hair at the start of the shower, and don't rinse out until the end of the shower - ultimately the longer you leave it in your hair the better). I recommend K-Pak from Joico.

-When using any styling tools (whether this be a straightener or curler) be sure to use a heat protectant in your hair beforehand. At the moment I am using Miracle Treatment from Eleven Australia.

-Where appropriate (be guided by your hairdresser) try to stretch out your colour appointments. Now when I say stretch out, I don't mean take a leaf out of Shakira's book in the early 2000's and rock the massive regrowth (and yes, regrowth does differ from balayage), as my hairdresser has recommended that I come in every 8 weeks, rather than every 6 weeks to give my hair a rest from the bleach. She also recommends visiting the salon half way through appointments (eg. around the week 4 mark) to get a toner put through your hair. This is to ensure that your hair is still a beautiful blonde, without any brassiness.

Are you going lighter this summer? Tag me in a photo of your blonde locks on Instagram @jspstyling

No comments:

Post a Comment