Tuesday 17 December 2013

12 days of Christmas: Day 8

Nail polishes are all the same - right? Wrong, very wrong!

Below I have featured my top 6 brands of nail polishes, and a guide to how to choose what shades you should purchase in each brand.


Chanel - I have chosen 'Black Satin' as my go-to Chanel shade. This is because black is definitely a staple colour in my nail collection. It matches with EVERY outfit, and as it is neutral is will never date. All reasons why I would purchase a high quality brand in this shade. RRP $38.

Dior - This is another high quality brand that I love. The brush in this bottle is like no other brand I have seen - it is angled, which makes for a much easier application. The shade I have featured is in between a light and a dark grey ('Gris Montaigne'); a colour that I have not seen commonly used by other fashion houses and hence why I would be more willing to pay the price for this nail polish. RRP $36.

OPI - Renowned for their pink hues, my go-to product in this range is 'Mod About You'. I have tried hundreds (quite literally) of pink nail polishes to get to the perfect shade, and this product is what I would call perfection. This colour has also been given WAG Rebecca Judd's seal of approval. RRP $20

Essie - This brand is not as well known as OPI, just as yet - but watch this space, I am predicting that their popularity is on the rise. With more colours than the rainbow, there is bound to be a shade that you like in this collection. However, what I have opted to feature is a product that again not a lot of companies are producing - and that is a matte top coat. Now, matte colours have come back again in fashion, but mainly in the form of a coloured polish that has a matte effect, and not a top coat. This top coat can be used on ANY coloured nail polish that you have at home, to make its appearance completely matte. RRP $16.95.

Sportsgirl - Despite what you may think, Sportsgirl make one of the best nail polishes I have tried (often having better staying power than some of the more expensive brands). For those who want to try a seasonal colour, one that you don't know if you will wear more than once, and don't want to spend big bucks on, this is the brand! I would definitely recommend picking up a bottle of these underrated nail polishes if you haven't already (and for those on a search of a KK present/stocking filler - this is the product for you). RRP $7.95.

Revlon - This brand is midway between a good quality brand, and a low quality brand. The reason I recommend buying your top coats from Revlon, is that if you are anything like me you will go through bottles quite often, meaning that it is not the most savviest shopping to be buying high-end top coats. If you are not using a top coat every time you are applying nailpolish, you should be. Not only does it give the colour a glossy finish, it helps to dry the nails quicker, and is said to protect from premature chipping. RRP $15.95.

Do you match the colour of your nails with your toes? What is your go-to polish colour? Would love to hear what you think jspstyling@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment